Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
PRINT | E-MAIL
Brig. Gen. Dennis O. Bythewood is Commander, Joint Task Force – Space Defense at Schriever Space Force Base, Colorado. JTF-SD’s mission is to conduct space superiority operations in unified action with mission partners to deter aggression, defend space capability, and when directed, defeat adversaries throughout the continuum of conflict.
Brig. Gen. Bythewood entered the Air Force via the Reserve Officers Training Corps in 1992 upon graduating from the University of Vermont and transferred to the Space Force in 2021. He has commanded space operations at the squadron and group level and led acquisitions as a Materiel Leader, two-time Program Director, and Program Executive Officer.
Prior to his current position, Brig. Gen. Bythewood was Deputy Commander, Joint Task Force-Space Defense.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, University of Vermont, Burlington
2004 Master of Business Administration, University of Colorado-Colorado Springs
1. October 1992 – June 1996, Range System Manager, 501st Range Squadron, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
2. July 1996 – August 1999, Electric Combat Analyst and Chief, Unmanned Air Vehicle Branch, Detachment 1, 31st Test and Evaluation Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
3. August 1999 – June 2002, Chief, Test and Certification, System Test Division, Milstar Joint Program Office, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
4. July 2002 – October 2005, Chief of Engineering, Operations Support Flight Commander and Operations Officer, 4th Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
5. November 2005 – July 2007, Chief, Military Satellite Communications Operations Branch, HAF/DCS, Air, Space and Information Operations, Plans, Requirements, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. August 2007 – May 2009, Executive Officer, SAF/SO, Air Forces Smart Operations, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. June 2009 – June 2011, Commander, Space Communications Operations Squadron, Network Operations Group, Mission Operations Directorate, National Reconnaissance Office, Los Angeles, Calif.
8. July 2011 – July 2013, Materiel Leader, Space Based Infrared System Production, Infrared Space Systems Directorate, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
9. August 2013 – June 2014, Director, Ground Frontiers Office, Ground Enterprise Directorate, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
10. July 2014 – June 2016, Commander, 50th Operations Group, Schriever AFB, Colo.
11. July 2016 – December 2016, Special Assistant to the Director, Remote Sensing Systems Directorate, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
12. December 2016 – October 2018, Senior Materiel Leader & Director, Remote Sensing Systems Directorate, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
13. October 2018 – July 2020, Director, Space Development Corps and Program Executive Officer for Space Development, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
14. July 2020 – June 2021, Senior Materiel Leader and Director, Special Programs, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
15. July 2021 – Present, Deputy Commander, Joint Task Force-Space Defense, U.S. Space Command Schriever SFB, Colo.
16. July 2021 – November 2022, Deputy Commander, Joint Task Force-Space Defense, U.S. Space Command Schriever SFB, Colo.
17. November 2022 – present, Commander, Joint Task Force-Space Defense, U.S. Space Command Schriever SFB, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 15, 1992
First Lieutenant June 1, 1994
Captain June 1, 1996
Major February 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel February 1, 2008
Colonel April 1, 2014
Brigadier General August 17, 2021
(Current as of August 2021)