An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
Official websites use .mil
website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Skip to main content (Press Enter).
United States Space Force
Search United States Space Force:
Search United States Space Force:
About Space Force
What's the Space Force
How will the Space Force impact me
How do I join?
Space Force Locations
Space Operations Command
Space Training and Readiness Command
Space Systems Command
Air Force Space Command Archival Site
DAF Policy Updates
Space Force Careers
Brigadier General ANTHONY J. MASTALIR
Brig. Gen. Anthony J. Mastalir is the Commander, United States Space Forces Indo-Pacific, Joint Base Pearl Harbor - Hickam, Hawaii. The unit plans, coordinates, supports, and conducts employment of space operations across the full range of military operations, including security cooperation, in support of U.S. Indo-Pacific Command objectives.
Brig. Gen. Mastalir earned his commission as a distinguished graduate of the Northwestern University Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. He is a credentialed Guardian having completed a series of operational, staff and command assignments in spacelift and range operations, satellite command and control, space electronic warfare, space policy, space security and defense, legislative affairs, and joint operations. He has commanded at the Air Force squadron, group, and wing level and at the Space Force delta level and has deployed in support of Operations Inherent Resolve, Freedom’s sentinel, Spartan Shield, and Allies Refuge.
Prior to his current assignment he served as the Special Assistant to the Deputy Commander, Space Operations Command, Vandenberg SFB, CA.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
1995 Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Space and Missile Training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
1998 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Distinguished Graduate, Missile Initial Qualification Training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2002 Master of Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2007 Master of National Security and Strategic Studies (Highest Distinction), Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2007 Distinguished Graduate, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2008 Master of Airpower Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Top Graduate, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air Force Research Fellow, Project Air Force, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif.
2012 National Security Studies Program, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2013 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2014 Africa Political-Economic Conflict Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington D.C.
2016 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2021 Director of Space Forces Course, 319 Combat Training Squadron, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. September 1995–March 1999, Satellite Procedures Officer, Flight Director, Mission Director, Satellite Operations Instructor, Evaluator, Operations Training Chief, 5th Space Operations Squadron, Onizuka Air Station, Calif.
2. March 1999–March 2001, Minuteman III Missile Combat Crew Commander, Instructor, Flight Commander, 564th Missile Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. March 2001–June 2002 Air Force Intern, Space Operations and Integration Division, Deputy Chief of Staff of Air and Space Operations, Headquarters Air Force; and Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
4. June 2002–June 2004, Flight Commander, 4th Space Control Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
5. June 2004–April 2005, Chief, Space Control Requirements Branch, Space Superiority Division, Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. April 2005–July 2006, Commander’s Speech Writer, Commander’s Action Group; and Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
7. July 2006–June 2007, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
8. July 2007–June 2008, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2008–June 2010, Commander, 595th Operations Support Squadron; and Chief, Integration Division, Space Innovation and Development Center, Schriever AFB, Colo.
10. July 2010–June 2011, Deputy Commander, 595th Space Group, Space Innovation and Development Center, Schriever AFB, Colo.
11. July 2011–June 2012, Air Force Research Fellow, Project Air Force, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif.
12. July 2012–June 2014, Chief, Space and Missile Defense Division, Trans-Regional Policy, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
13. July 2014–May 2015, Assistant Deputy Director, Global Policy and Partnerships, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. June 2015–June 2017, Vice Commander, 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo.
15. July 2017–July 2019, Deputy Director, Space Security and Defense Program, Colorado Springs, Colo.
16. July 2019–May 2021, Commander, 30th Space Wing and Western Launch and Test Range, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
17. May 2021–June 2021, Commander, Space Launch Delta 30, Vandenberg SFB, Calif.
18. July 2021–April 2022, Director of Space Forces, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
19. April 2022–October 2022, Special Assistant to the Commander, Combined Force Space Component Command, U.S. Space Command, Vandenberg SFB, Calif.
20. November 2022—present, Commander, United States Space Forces Indo-Pacific, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012–June 2014, Chief, Space and Missile Defense Division, Trans-Regional Policy, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington D.C., as a colonel
2. July 2014–May 2015, Assistant Deputy Director, Global Policy and Partnerships, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington D.C., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
The US Response to China’s ASAT Test: An International Security Space Alliance for the Future
, Air University Press, 2009
The PRC Challenge to US Space Assets
Chinese Aerospace Power: Evolving Maritime Roles
, Naval Institute Press, 2011
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 18, 1994
First Lieutenant July 15, 1996
Captain July 15, 1998
Major December 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel July 1, 2012
Brigadier General October 1, 2022
(Current as of Nov 2022)