Skip to main content (Press Enter).
United States Space Force
Search United States Space Force:
Search United States Space Force:
About Space Force
What's the Space Force
How will the Space Force impact me
How do I join?
Letter to the Force
USSF Industry Partners
Space Force Roadshow
Air Force Space Command Archival Site
Connect With Us
Blue Grit Podcast
CSO/SEA transfer memo
CMSgt CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT ROGER A. TOWBERMAN
Chief Master Sergeant Roger A. Towberman is the Senior Enlisted Advisor of the United States Space Force and Command Senior Enlisted Leader of United States Space Command. Chief Towberman represents the highest enlisted level of leadership, and as such, provides direction for the enlisted force and represents their interests, as appropriate, to the American public and to those in all levels of government. He serves as the personal adviser to the Chief of Space Operations and the Secretary of the Air Force on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness, morale, proper utilization and development of the U.S. Space Force. He is the first enlisted member of the U.S. Space Force and the first to be appointed to its highest enlisted position.
As the Command Senior Enlisted Leader for USSPACECOM, Chief Towberman advises the Commander on all matters related to space forces providing tailored, responsive, theater and global space effects in support of national objectives. USSPACECOM is responsible for deterring conflict, defending U.S and Allied freedom of action in space, delivering combat-relevant space capability to Joint and combined forces and developing space forces to advance US and Allied interests in, through and from the space domain.
Chief Towberman entered the Air Force in September 1990 and his career included various duties as a ground and airborne cryptologic language and intelligence analyst. Throughout his career, he filled myriad leadership roles at the squadron, group, wing, Numbered Air Force, Major Command and Combatant Command level, while stateside, overseas and deployed. His deployments included supporting Operations Joint Forge, Allied Force, Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom and Unified Protector. As a Career Enlisted Aviator, he logged more than 4,500 flying hours.
He entered the United States Space Force on 3 April 2020.
1995 Pacific Air Forces Airman Leadership School, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
2002 U.S. Air Forces in Europe Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Kapaun AB, Germany
2002 Joint Advanced Tactical Signals Intelligence Training Program, Naval Strike, Air Warfare Center, Fallon, Nev.
2004 Associate in Communications Application Technology degree, Community College of the Air Force
2006 U.S. Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 U.S. Air Force Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
2014 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
1. September 1990–October 1990, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. October 1990–December 1991, student, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
3. January 1992–May 1992, student, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
4. May 1992–March 1997, Systems Operator and Collection Manager, Wheeler Army Airfield, Hawaii
5. March 1997–March 1999, C2 Network Analyst, Kelly AFB, Texas
6. March 1999–August 2007, Superintendent, Standardization and Evaluations, Flight Chief Airborne Operations, 488th Intelligence Squadron, RAF, Mildenhall, United Kingdom
7. August 2007–October 2009, Operations Superintendent, 338th Combat Training Sq, Offutt AFB, Neb.
8. October 2009–July 2010, Operations Superintendent, 488th Intelligence Sq, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
9. July 2010–August 2011, Superintendent, 488th Intelligence Sq, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
10. August 2011–May 2013, Superintendent, 55th Electronic Combat Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz. (April 2012–November 2012, Superintendent, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group, Bagram, Afghanistan)
11. May 2013–September 2014, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
12. September 2014–August 2017, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 25th Air Force, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
13. August 2017–November 2018, Senior Enlisted Advisor, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Manpower and Reserve Affairs), Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. November 2018–December 2019, Command Chief, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. Aug 2019–Present, Command Senior Enlisted Leader, U.S. Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. April 2020–Present, Senior Enlisted Advisor of the Space Force, U.S. Space Force, Peterson AFB, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with ten oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
1995 Distinguished Graduate, Airmen Leadership School
2002 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2005 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 488th Intelligence Squadron
2006 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2006 Chief Master Sgt. James M. McCoy Academic Achievement Award Winner, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2006 Air Force Intelligence Awards Program, Active Duty Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 8th Air Force
2007 Airborne Mission Supervisor of the Year, 55th Wing
2007 Electronic Warfare Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 55th Wing
CEA Status: Master Enlisted Aircrew
Flight Hours: 4,574 including 3,748 combat/combat support hours
Aircraft Flown: RC-135V/W/U
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Senior Enlisted Advisor, United States Space Force 3 Apr 2020
(Current as of April 2020)